Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Wonderful World of Dirt

Three adventures. One post. Hold on to your seats, kids...

ADVENTURE #1: 2 BACKPACKS AND A LITTLE GOOSE

For Aaron's big 3-0 (yes, you may call him an old man), we went on a little adventure. We backpacked into the first campsite on the Hop Canyon Trail. It's in the northern portion of Zion National Park - the Kolob Canyon part. It was beautiful and just the right distance for someone who doesn't want to stay confined too long.

My pack: 1 goose and her paraphernalia
Aaron's pack: everything else
What a man!

Dad, I can help. I promise I won't try to steal the tent pole again.

Oh, this is fun.

A tent, a trusty bib, and Dad. What more does a girl need?

Playing in the dirt is hard work.

ADVENTURE #2: YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK (the end of the Tahoe Trip)

As we ended our week in Lake Tahoe with the Averett family, we drove to Yosemite National Park. We were going to spend two days there, but we (I, mostly) were tired of second-guessing the weather so we ended up staying just one jam-packed day. We drove through the park, hiked to a couple of waterfalls, and jogged to see the giant sequoias. It was awesome and someday we will go back to spend some quality time there. We may even eat pizza with the squirrels again. :)

Half Dome. I can finally say I've seen it.

Lower Yosemite Falls.


The hike to Vernal Falls. Amazing! and WET!

So independent.


ADVENTURE #3: "GOOSE, MESS"

Every now and then, we just need to get out. The weather has been abnormally awesome this June, and then one weekend it decided to be normal. So we left. Headed for the hills to Yankee Meadows in the aspens and cool. We knew Eliza liked camping, but we have made it to a whole new level of "like."

Every kid needs a bridge.

15 minutes in camp.

Bring out the dogs. I'm ready.

2 hours in camp.

Higher, Dad! Higher!

CONGRATULATIONS! You made it to the end of the post! We are now caught up. Give us a couple weeks. I'm sure we'll fall behind again and then you can look forward to another epic post.

And, as a reward, here's a little video for your viewing pleasure.



Love you guys! Thanks for keeping up with us.

8 comments:

Josh McFarland said...

Great post! Love the video. I too hiked to Vernal falls and recognized your pictures not because of the beautiful waterfall, but because you were all wet. They don't call it the 'Mist Trail' for nothing.

Jessica said...

Eliza and Cameron are so similar - we have almost identical pictures of him on camping trips last summer! SO FUN!! If we go to Yosemite again, I'm voting for staying away from squirrel infested food courts - SICK!!

Amy said...

You are a good mom to take pictures instead of getting frustrated with all the dirt. Lance won't let me leave your blog. He wants to see "Siza".

Wanna-be-Cowgirl (aka Emily) said...

Be careful... you and I will join the 30 club this year, too!

Tuffie said...

Em - I know. I just have to give him a hard time while I can.

Nathan said...

This is a great post. Eliza is absolutely adorable. I can't wait to come and see you guys. It has been way too long.

Amanda said...

I'm not quite sure how I feel about you calling Aaron an old man. We will be there soon (unfortunately).

The Merkleys said...

Love the post! She is hilarious! Can't wait to see her...Maybe she'll help Paisley walk. Nope- still won't do it. Lazy cuss. ;)